Communication and socialization are essential for the flourishing of communities and in a world, where interactions are enabled and highly influenced by technology, the chances for human-to-human interactions reduces. With life expectancy getting improved, and all the generations forming a significant part of populations globally, it becomes imperative that cities and spaces are planned keeping in mind the needs for all.
Supportive Spaces for Everyone
The new-age living and communal spaces are all about bringing everyone together. The increase dependability on phones, tablets, and other gadgets to communicate has taken away small joys like dining together within families. Residential and commercial properties’ designs now strive for communication and collaboration among those who live in these buildings. Lending a sense of community within these spaces has become an essential characteristic, and most real estate companies emphasize on this particular factor their marketing material. Every generation within a population has something to offer the others, and interactions between them can help in doing away with several issues. For example, loneliness is a terrible issue plaguing the senior population. Social spaces that are easily accessible can be an excellent solution for the elderly to meet people from all generations and interact. The aspect of loneliness is also a growing concern among kids. There are many factors that contribute to this. One is that most families today are nuclear families with not more than one child, and the second factor is of competitive jobs market making it difficult for working parents to spend time with their kids. This increased the dependability of children on gadgets for passing the time. Social spaces like the one mentioned before can be ideal places for children as well.
Friendly Designs for All Generations
Cities that are planned by keeping the needs of all generations in mind will become more common. Governments are fostering stronger communities through the creation of such spaces. Public parks with something for everyone has become an essential element of city planning. Both private and public players involved in the creation of buildings and common areas can keep the following aspects in mind to ensure that everyone can make the most of these spaces:
- Railings and bars for support for those with mobility issues and providing wheelchair accessibility in all areas.
- Kids and senior citizens are most vulnerable to security issues, so ensuring that facilities for the same are put in place also becomes very important. In indoor areas, safety aspects like the placement of electric sockets away from children, non-slippery surfaces for all, and seating arrangements suitable to all generations are some design features that should not be ignored.
- Digital connectivity may have usurped the charm of face-to-face interaction, but has become an integral part for all generations. Hence, it becomes crucial for making arrangements for the same in these spaces. Charging points can be a great addition helpful for charging gadgets as well as electric wheelchairs.
- Facilities like clean washrooms and access to drinking water in such spaces are also necessary. Again, these should be planned and placed in a way that it is accessible to all.
- Public parks and spaces equipped for a variety of activities are a great way to keep everyone engaged. Open gym equipment, playgrounds, and picnic tables are some of the common facilities provided.
Social spaces designed for multi-generational use are most effective when there are plenty of them. Such areas should be developed across multiple locations offering everyone the same access to it. Making such facilities multi-purpose are also helpful to cater to all generations. For example, a public park for elderly and kids can be converted to an open theatre in the nights catering to the millennial crowds. Spaces designed for inter-generational use can be effective in keeping people stress free and also inculcate empathy. These spaces are ideal for children and adults alike, to become more accepting of those with special needs as well.
This article has been authored by Diyar Al Muharraq
Diyar Al Muharraq is one of the most visionary and progressive urban developments in the Kingdom of Bahrain; an all comprehensive, fully integrated modern city best described as a complete society incorporating a strong line-up of projects which include a vast variety of residential and commercial properties, ideal for both personal and investment purposes. Aimed at creating a long term and sustainable township, Diyar Al Muharraq is located on the northern shores of Muharraq and comprises of 7 reclaimed islands of 10 square kilometers and total area spanning 12 square kilometers. Upon completion, Diyar Al Muharraq will encompass over 40 kilometers of waterfront with sandy beaches, and all the elements of a vibrant community ranging extensively from fully equipped educational facilities and schools, medical centres, recreation facilities, shopping malls, expansive parklands, hotels and marinas. Diyar Al Muharraq is to be a first of its kind development, one that aims to offers its occupants a safe haven for the ideal life.